A Civic, Welfare, & Social Organization
The purpose of the Signal Mountain Community Guild shall be the dedication of its members, through volunteer service, to community enrichment and preservation of human and natural resources in cooperation with other civic, cultural, educational, and social organizations.
Committed to Service, Committed to Signal.
The Signal Mountain Community Guild was organized June 6, 1928 with thirteen members. The first speaker was Mrs. W.S. Keese, wife of the Superintendent of Bonny Oaks School, who so inspired the members that the key became an auxiliary of improvements there. The Guild contributed to Silverdale, Crittendon Home, Vine Street Orphanage, Pine Breeze Sanatorium, and made tarlatan Christmas stockings for Pine Breeze.
An annual tea for Newcomers was instituted and was changed to an annual coffee, sponsored by the Newcomers Department. The Gahagan Fund was created to provide assistance in education for underprivileged children of Signal Mountain. Welfare groups were organized to help the needy get to a hospital or doctor...